HOUSTON FEDERATION OF TEACHERS
Please include the following to the December 3, 2009 Instructional Consultation agenda:
1. The use of Teacher Assistants – We first presented this issue in November and were asked for a list of schools where this is occurring.
a. It has come to our attention that many campuses have found a less than legal way to cut their budgets; using teacher aides to teach ancillary classes such as library and computer, and as regular substitutes. Aside from violating NCLB, TEC laws, and HISD policy, this is not moral. Doing so exploits the teacher aides who are directed to do a $45,000.00 a year job for about $18,000.00. Not to mention that it cost a teacher a job.
While TAs or clerks can be used as support and as library clerks, classes cannot be dropped off for ancillary period with the aide in charge. While aides can hold a class for a teacher who is late, or in the event of an emergency such as not being able to obtain a sub, they cannot be used as the designated or long-term sub on the campus.
b. The following schools have reported abuses in the use of Teacher Assistants:
· At Dogan a TA is the PE teacher, and on the ancillary schedule.
· At Davila a T.A. has been in the library as a teacher for more than 2 years. Library is not ancillary. It is a separate class.
· Lewis is using a Teacher Aids for Art.
· Alcott, Frost, Hobby, Tinsley are holding ancillary library classes and computer classes.
· At JR Harris Elementary School TA's are regularly used as substitutes
2. Grievance Procedure
The grievance procedure is becoming increasingly less effective. A principal losing a grievance does not seem to be a deterrent against further policy violations. It is time we look at the current procedure and develop real sanctions against administrators who continually flaunt policy, procedures, and the law.
3. Advanced Placement Scores
With the current push to increase the number of AP courses offered and tests given in order to raise school rankings in the Newsweek magazine list of top schools, is there any plan to use student AP scores as part of AP teachers EVAAS rankings?
4 hours ago